When the telescopes were set up, we saw lots of amazing stuff, like:
- Sirius - the Dog Star, also the brightest star in the night sky.
- Eta Carinae - Part of the Carina Nebula.
- The Jewel Box, a very pretty cluster of stars.
- Three crosses - the Southern Cross, the Diamond Cross, and the False Cross.
- The Southern Pleiades - one of the stars of the Diamond Cross. it is actually a beautiful group of stars.
- Scorpio - one of the “stars” that we saw on the head of Scorpio was actually Saturn. Scorpio has a red giant star that marks its heart. It is called Antares.
- Jupiter - When we were about to go we saw an astronomer taking videos with the telescope of the occulting of Jupiter's two moons, Io and Ganymede
- Omega Centauri globular cluster - It has 10 billion stars and is yellowish-peach.
- Alpha Centauri - It is a star system with two stars, but the top star is actually made up of two stars.
We joined up as members of the Beverly-Begg Observatory. It's a very cool place.