What does this have to do with kale?
Well, after harvesting my first lot of curly kale, and staring at it with no idea what to do, I did a bit of a search online and found that kale chips are actually a thing. And when I tried airfrying some, I realised that they are a damned good thing too. They taste really similar to my beloved grilled seaweed. Now all I need is to invent some kind of tom yum spice powder to sprinkle on top.
Air-fried Kale Chips
- Rinse kale leaves then let drip dry.
- Cut off stalks.
- Cut up kale leaves into manageable chunks. I sliced each in half and cut them into about 2-3cm slices.
- Put leaves in large bowl and pour about 1-2 tbsp olive oil over, followed by about 1/2tsp ground sea salt.
- Mix with hands until well coated.
- Put in airfryer and fry about 2 minutes on 200deg, shaking once or twice.
- Put in pretty dish and watch it disappear.
I recently served some at a family brunch and the main comment I got was "I can't believe something so good for you can taste so good."
I may have been a bit skeptical about the whole kale-is-a-superfood thing. It seemed rather faddish, like quinoa, chia seeds, and the paleo diet. However, after seeing how kale chips are so quick and easy to make, I am converted!