I adapted a recipe from one of my favourite books of all time, Sophie Gray's "Destitute Gourmet: Stunning Food from Small Change". Here's my non-dairy take on her excellent apple and lemon muffins.
- 2 cups flour
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp bran flakes
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup dried apricot pieces (I bought the tiny diced version)
- 75g oil (I use rice bran oil)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 220 deg C.
- Sift the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder.
- Add in chocolate chips and apricot pieces.
- Add in oil, coconut milk and eggs to dry ingredients. Mix with wooden spoon until just combined. Mixture should still be a bit lumpy. If you find it a little dry, add a splash more of coconut milk.
- Spoon into 12 case-lined muffin pans.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- I freeze a batch of these and take them out in the morning and put them in the kids' lunch boxes. The muffins will defrost just in time for morning tea/lunch time and taste "awesome" (according to Jordan).