After lots of Googling, I decided to make a version of crumbed mushroom tenders.
- Oyster mushrooms, torn into bite-sized pieces and patted dry
- Plain flour, seasoned with whatever takes your fancy (I put in dried oregano, smoked paprika, sea salt and ground black pepper)
- One egg, beaten
- Breadcrumbs, with liberal helping of grated parmesan mixed in
- Oil for frying (I use light olive oil)
- Toss mushroom pieces one at a time in seasoned flour mixture to lightly coat.
- Dip in beaten egg.
- Coat in breadcrumbs.
- Shallow fry in hot oil until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
Bite into one and shake your head in disbelief at how good it is.